< Back to People & Places

MARJORIE EAGLES

Marjorie Eagles

Marjorie Lilian was born in 1918 at New Farm, Corsham to Harry & Lilian Pocock who owned and ran the farm. She had an older brother Philip, and a younger sister Joan.

Her education began at home, with a governess called Miss Boyce, then later she attended the Girls High School at Trowbridge, which could easily be reached by railway from Lacock Halt. She had to walk to the station over three fields, and recalled leaving her wellington boots in the hedge ready for the walk back home.

In 1937 she joined the 30th Wiltshire Detachment of the British Red Cross, and during the second world war was mostly stationed at Donhead House, and Corsham Court, convalescent homes for officers. She also did ARP work, and ended the war as Assistant Commandant.

She met Dr John Eagles in 1946, and they were married in 1947 – a bitter snowy winter – at Lacock Church. For the next 45 years Margery’s principle role was to support John as local GP. They always welcomed patients to their home when the surgery was not open, and she helped with the cricketing teas, John playing opening bat for Corsham.

They had a large garden where Margery grew many flowers for cutting which were used to supply some of the decorations for the very active Church flower group and their flower festivals.

Retirement was enjoyed to the full with holidays organised by the National Trust. Time was taken to stay with both their extended families, and they visited Bath most weeks.

John died in 2012, and Margery, having reached the age of 90, decided to move to Bybrook Nursing Home, where she remained – remarkably cheerful, and very pleased to see friends and relatives, and hear the latest news.