There is a grave at the rear of St Bartholomew’s churchyard, where lies a man who took part in the Crimean War, and the ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ on the 25th October 1854. He was slightly wounded in the right foot during that battle, but was able to remain in service until 1855.
His name was Daniel Clutterbuck, the second son of Thomas and Henrietta Clutterbuck who were members of one of the aristocratic families of their day.
Henrietta was daughter of the celebrated economist and financier David Ricardo of Gatcombe Park, Glos, and M.P. for Portarlington.
Thomas was an officer in the Royal Horse Guards, and presumably met his wife in London, for they were married at St George’s, Hanover Square in 1814.
Thomas and Henrietta had seven children, five girls and two boys. As was the custom in those days, the eldest son inherited the title/ property and the second son went into the military. So it was to be for Daniel, after receiving an Eton education, he joined the 8th Royal Irish Hussars on 22nd December 1846.
In February 1850 he was made a Lieutenant, and on 15th May 1854, he embarked the HT Echunga for the Crimea. It was in October of that year he was wounded during the Charge of the Light Brigade. In December 1854 he was elevated to the rank of Captain. He received the Crimea Medal from Queen Victoria in May 1885, and he retired from the Army that year.
Daniel had married Sophia Spicer, in October 1855. (daughter of John William Spicer JP. of Esher Place, Surrey, who later lived at Spye Park, Nr Chippenham).
No record of where they lived at that time has been identified, but perhaps it is reasonable to assume that because Daniel was in the Hussars, Sophia stayed under the protection of her parents until he returned from the Crimea.
Records show that after Daniel’s retirement they were living at Monks Park House, Corsham in 1889/90, and in 1906, the year that he died, the family were residing at Middlewick House, Pickwick.